Cricket: South Africa No.1 in all three formats
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Southampton: South Africa became the first side to be ranked No. 1 in all three formats after beating England in the second ODI by 80 runs.
Having already dethroned England at the top of the world Test rankings this tour, Proteas replaced them at the top of the ODI rankings and are now top in all three formats.
The match saw a record-breaking Hashim Amla, smashing a 124-ball 150, becoming the fastest player to 3,000 ODI runs as he reached the landmark in just his 57th innings compared to the 69 it took West Indies great Vivian Richards.
The victory meant England ended their run of 10 straight wins. Amla’s 150, the highest individual score in ODI matches between South Africa and England, helped South Africa post a challenging 287 for five.
In reply, England were dismissed for 207 with more than nine overs left. South Africa take a 1-0 lead in the five-match series after this victory. The first ODI was washout in Cardiff on Friday.
South Africa only need to draw this series to cement their status in the rankings, while England must win it to remain on top in the 50-over format.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?