Critics are not watching my recovery: Yuvraj Singh
New Delhi: Yuvraj Singh`s surprise selection in the Twenty20 World Cup squad might have raised doubts about his fitness but the all-rounder today sought to put the record straight by announcing that he is physically and mentally strong enough to make a comeback into the international arena.
"Experts are not watching me. They don`t know about my fitness. It`s me who knows what`s going on. It`s me who is feeling it from inside. I know myself better and I am confident enough to do well in the World Cup in Sri Lanka," said Yuvraj on the sidelines of National Sports Awards function at the Rashtrapati Bhawan, here today.
The star cricketer, who is preparing to stage a comeback after recovering from a rare germ cell cancer, received the Arjuna Award from President Pranab Mukherjee amidst a rousing reception with hordes of cameramen capturing his moment of glory.
Many former cricketers, including Sourav Ganguly, had raised fears about Yuvraj`s fitness in the wake of his selection in the squad for the upcoming T20 World Cup to be played in Sri Lanka from September 18 to October 12 and termed the decision as "emotional".
"I am practicing hard at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore. The experts over there are watching my fitness level. I know what I am doing and I just want to concentrate on my return and playing cricket.
"If you look at the last three months, I am really training hard and peaking well. I am looking forward to play my first game after a year.
"I had played three practice games at NCA. I will get some serious match practice in the two matches against New Zealand scheduled September 8 and 11. Then, I would be playing two more practice matches. So, you see, I will be having seven games before the World Cup. I will be having enough match practice," said Yuvraj.
The 30-year-old, a veteran of 274 ODIs (8051 runs) and 118 T20s (2726 runs), said that Arjuna Award will give him the confidence to make a comeback and perform well.
"It`s a special award for me. I had been nominated few times but finally I got it this time. It`s a proud moment for me and my family. The award will give me a lot of confidence to make a comeback and perform well," said Yuvraj, who was the Player of the Tournament during India`s 2011 World Cup triumph.
The left-hander underwent treatment in the United States in January this year, involving three sessions of chemotherapy, and returned to India in April, after successfully battling cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India