CSA lauds Proteas for fightback in Australia
Johannesburg: Cricket South Africa lauded the national squad on what it called "a magnificent rearguard action and, in particular, Faf du Plessis for his phenomenal performance on debut" to earn a draw in the second Test against Australia in Adelaide.
Du Plessis became the first South African to score a century and a half-century on his debut. His aggregate of 188 was the second best for the Proteas after Jacques Rudolph who made 222 from one innings against Bangladesh in 2003.
"Faf played with great skill, determination and pride, and the hallmark was the calmness he displayed, particularly in guiding the tail-enders through an extremely difficult last hour," commented CSA Acting CEO Jacques Faul.
"These are all the characteristics that have made our Test side such a world-class unit over the past few years and demonstrated just how hard they are to beat.
"Faf`s performance in this match was world-class by any standards but to do it on debut in an away Test against Australia was absolutely phenomenal. There is a great skill involved in playing match-winning innings but playing match-saving innings can often be even more difficult," he added.
Du Plessis` innings lasted 16 minutes short of eight hours and enabled the Proteas to bat out the last day. The match also produced yet another statistical landmark for Jacques Kallis who has now scored 50 or more runs in a Test innings on 100 occasions.
"Faf was by no means a one-man band in saving this match and we congratulate everybody for the way they knuckled down to complete a job well done.
"This has been an engrossing series of Test cricket to date which underlines the greatness of the five-day format, and all South Africans will be looking forward to another keen encounter at Perth from Friday."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says