Johannesburg: A decision by Cricket South Africa (CSA) to discontinue an external investigation into huge bonuses paid to its chief executive and 40 other staff members in the wake of the IPL II played here, has been slammed by politicians.
A Commission of Enquiry led by former Chief Justice Pius Langa was appointed in August to investigate the payment of R4.7 million to CSA chief executive Gerald Majola and others.
But now the cricket authority has decided that there would be instead an internal investigation led by A K Khan, Deputy President of the CSA.
The opposition parties – Democratic Alliance (DA) and Independent Democrats (ID) have both slammed the CSA for the u-turn.
“It is always better to have an independent investigation for the sake of the stakeholders and their peace of mind,” DA spokesman Donald Lee told the Afrikaans daily Beeld.
“The DA is of the opinion that politicians should not be prescriptive of sports bodies, but now there are question marks over why the independent enquiry has been cancelled.”
Joe McGluwa of the ID called the decision “disappointing” as he said: “Somersaulting on the decision after former Chief Justice Langa had already been appointed and deciding to do it internally makes one wonder what is there to hide?”
CSA spokesperson Kass Naidoo said a report from the Khan investigation would be tabled by November 19.
Majola came under fire earlier this year after allegations surfaced that a substantial bonus paid to him and others at CSA for the hosting of IPL II in South Africa were done without full knowledge of the CSA.
Majola said there was nothing untoward about the bonuses.
The CSA and its provincial affiliate Gauteng Cricket Board (GCB) were earlier at loggerheads after Majola refused to divulge the contents of an agreement between him and the IPL.
The matter reached the head when CSA threatened to withdraw international games from the Wanderers, controlled by GCB, before intervention by the Sports Minister Makhenkesi Stofile resolved the matter.