Cummins, Johnson back to Australian squad for England tour
Melbourne: Young fast bowler Patrick Cummins and Mitchell Johnson today returned to the Australian squad for a five-match One-Day series against England and one game against Ireland, after recovering from their respective foot injuries.
Johnson was recently ruled out of IPL season-V since he had not recovered from a surgery on his toe. The left-arm paceman was bought by Mumbai Indians for USD 300,000 in the February player auction.
Cummins is coming back to international cricket after a six-month gap as he missed Australian summer season with a bone stress injury in his heel.
Steven Smith, who is playing in IPL for Pune Warriors, has also been included but Peter Forrest, Mitchell Starc, Dan Christian, Nathan Lyon and Peter Nevill have been ignored.
National Selector John Inverarity said both Smith and Johnson are in in contention to play ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.
"Mitchell Johnson has also been included in this ODI squad. He, also, is in strong contention for the ICC World Twenty20 and needs to be in the set-up and have some quality competitive cricket leading into this. The NSP is looking forward to Mitchell being reinvigorated after being out of the game for six months," Inverarity said.
"We are also excited about the return of Pat Cummins and we are looking to ease him back into the team. He will not be expected to play in all of the eight scheduled games," he added.
The only ODI against Ireland will be played on June 23, two days after a game against County side Leicestershire.
The team, to be led by Michael Clarke, will play five ODI against England from June 29.
Australia ODI Squad: Michael Clarke (c), Shane Watson (vc), George Bailey, Patrick Cummins, Xavier Doherty, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mike Hussey, David Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Clint McKay, James Pattinson, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade and David Warner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof