Dad-to-be Hashim Amla heads home
Abu Dhabi: South Africa are likely to be without Hashim Amla for next week`s second Test against Pakistan in Dubai after the world`s leading batsman left for home Friday to attend the birth of his second child.
"Amla flew back to South Africa on Friday morning for the birth of his second child. His wife is expected to give birth soon," a South Africa team statement said.
However, it remains unclear whether or not Amla will make it back in time for the second Test starting in Dubai from October 23.
Amla, ranked the number one batsman in the Test rankings, made 118 in the first Test which Pakistan won by seven wickets on Thursday.
But Amla said South Africa will be ready for the next match.
"We`ll probably have a few net sessions, but the biggest change will be mental," Amla said prior to his departure.
"We know where we went wrong and this team is without a doubt a fantastic team. We take a lot of pride from our performance and this loss hurt, we set high standards for ourselves."
The Proteas will not add a player to the current squad in his absence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Cancer: Early warning signs you shouldn't ignore!