Dalmiya has a challenger in Samar Pal for top CAB post
Kolkata: Seasoned cricket administrator Jagmohan Dalmiya will be up against former association joint-secretary Samar Pal for the president`s post in the Cricket Association of Bengal during its July 28 AGM.
Pal, who has been a consistent anti-Dalmiya man in the CAB for years, filed his nomination papers Friday - the last date for filing papers - for the top slot.
This will be the first time since his comeback in 2008 that Dalmiya will face an election for the president`s post which he has held since 1993 except for a 19-month hiatus after he resigned in December 2006 on being expelled from the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
Though Pal was confident of securing 61 of the 121 votes of the association, he conceded that he could not form a panel to take on team Dalmiya in all the executive posts of the cash-rich association.
Incumbent joint secretary Biswarup Dey is the sole candidate for the treasurer`s post, while Sujon Mukherjee and Subir Ganguly are set to win uncontested as joint secretaries. Sujon was joint secretary in the outgoing body, while Subir was treasurer.
There was much speculation that a section of Trinamool Congress leaders were behind Pal`s nomination as they were eyeing control of the CAB in the near future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations