Danish Kaneria hopes to revive career by appealing before ECB
Johannesburg: Former Pakistan leg-spinner Danish Kaneria is hoping to revive his international career by appealing against his life ban before a disciplinary committee of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
Kaneria, who was banned by the ECB last year for pressuring former Essex team-mate Mervyn Westfield into spot-fixing in an English county one-day game in 2009, has reportedly left for London where the hearing is to take place next week.
Stating that his livelihood is suffering because of the ban, Kaneria said that he hoped that the panel will be independent and neutral in this hearing.
The hearing was deferred last December when the ECB was unable to gain Westfield`s cooperation to appear before the committee.
However, Kaneria said that he expected Westfield to testify in his favour, adding that he hoped that things will be seen more clearly by the disciplinary committee in the presence of Westfield.
Westfield`s admission of guilt and his evidence against Kaneria led the ECB to reduce a possible suspension of nine years to five, and allow him to be involved only in club cricket after three years of his ban.
Kaneria, who played for Pakistan from 2000 to 2010 and took 261 wickets in 61 matches, was suspended by the Pakistan Cricket Board until the spot-fixing case was resolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof