Daredevils name Maxwell, Bodi as replacements for Ingram, Birt
New Delhi: Delhi Daredevils on Monday named young Australian all-rounder Glenn Maxwell and South Africa`s Gulam Bodi as replacements for Colin Ingram and Travis Birt in its squad for the fifth edition of the Indian Premier Premier League starting next month.
Daredevils mentor TA Sekar said Maxwell reminded team manager Aashish Kapoor and him of explosive David Warner.
"When Aashish and I watched Glenn in the Emerging Players` Tournament in Australia in July last, we saw him as a player of immense potential who loves being in the contest," he said.
"When we watched him bat, we were reminded of how we had spotted David Warner in 2008. We believe Glenn will play for Australia soon."
Maxwell, 23, holds the record for the fastest half-century ever in Australia`s domestic limited overs cricket (17 balls), striking a breathtaking 61 from 27 balls, eclipsing Australian legend David Hookes` domestic fastest-50.
His maiden first class century came in just his second Sheffield Shield match for Victoria at a run-a-ball pace.
"Besides being a dashing batsman, Glenn is a solid off-spinner and an amazing fielder, with infectious enthusiasm," Sekar said.
Sekar also said Bodi would be a solid fall-back option in the middle-order.
"Gulam was the best available replacement, given that we had to find someone within Birt`s base price," he said.
"Just the other day, he made a belligerent 90 off 51 balls with seven fours and five sixes for the Lions against the Warriors in the T20 Challenge in South Africa."
The 33-year-old Bodi has played more than 100 first class games, 131 List A games and 62 T20 games. Born in Harthuran near Surat in India, he has played two ODIs and one T20 international for South Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city