Dark days ahead of world cricket: Modi on Srini appointment
New Delhi: Former Indian Premier League chairman Lalit Modi predicted "dark days" ahead of world cricket on a day when N. Srinivasan was formally appointed the first Chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC).
"It is truly a sad day in world cricket as N Srinivasan takes over as the Chairman of the ICC today," said Modi in a statement.
"N. Srinivasan despite being removed by Supreme Court as BCCI President has been formally appointed the first Chairman of the ICC after its 52-member council approved a controversial revamp of the body`s administrative structure, which in itself is a harbinger of the dark days ahead for world cricket," he after said after Srinivasan`s appointment in Melbourne Thursday.
Modi was appalled to see Srinivasan`s elevation despite allegations floating against the BCCI president in exile.
"Consider this - N Srinivasan has been elected the Chairman despite being removed by the Supreme Court of India from the position of BCCI President due to ongoing investigations into the match-fixing allegations relating to the 2013 edition of the IPL.
"India`s FBI, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), is pursuing allegations of fraud committed by Srinivasan as managing director of India Cements, which is alleged to have routed scarce water resources with corrupt state officials to double production and profits.
"Supreme Court Justice AK Patnaik for the first time revealed details about the sealed envelope recently at the case hearing. He said that there were 13 names in the sealed envelope concerning match fixing and spot fixing, Srinivasan`s name was the 13th, and he had 12 allegations against him, with annexure to each of them. It seems that Mr Srinivasan has not taken the allegations seriously," Modi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre