Darren Sammy gives thumbs-up to Caribbean T20 League
Castries (St. Lucia): West Indies captain Darren Sammy has embraced the multi-million dollar Caribbean T20 Premier League (CPL), terming its emergence as a "special time," in the regional game.
The CPL, which will replace the current Caribbean Twenty20, was officially launched in Barbados Monday. It will be bankrolled by Barbados-based merchant bank Verus International and will comprise six privately-owned franchises throughout the Caribbean.
"This is a special time in West Indies cricket as we launch what promises to be one of the best tournaments on the cricket calendar," said Sammy Wednesday.
"It comes at a time when we in the West Indies are kings of the Twenty20 format. We are the world champions and we have some of the best players in the world. Our players have created an impact all across the globe."
Sammy was responsible for leading the West Indies to the Twenty20 World Cup victory in October when the regional side beat hosts Sri Lanka in a thrilling final.
Already, a plethora of West Indies players are in high demand in the myriad of T20 leagues around the world, with Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard and Marlon Samuels the most sought after.
Sammy, who is yet to play in any of the international T20 leagues, said it was important that the Caribbean had its own professional set-up.
"The time is right for the Caribbean Premier League. Cricketers across the Caribbean will benefit from this immensely. I, for sure, am looking forward to participating in the tournament. It promises to be some great entertainment, which players and the spectators will all enjoy," Sammy noted.
The deal, brokered by former crikcet board CEO Ernest Hilaire, will also see the WICB receiving annual funding to expand the current number of retainer contracts for players and for general developmental programmes.
Sammy pointed out that perhaps the most critical spin-off would be the funds to help develop the game regionally.
"What is also exciting for me is the number of young cricketers who could benefit from this new initiative. The WICB has done some good work on the grassroots and developmental programmes, and with additional funding more players will have a chance in cricket and in life," Sammy explained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes