Darren Sammy laments failure of bowlers against New Zealand
Wellington: West Indies captain Darren Sammy has lamented the failure of his seamers to exploit favourable bowling conditions against New Zealand in the first and second test matches of their current three match series.
Sammy has expressed disappointment in his bowlers after his side suffered a crushing innings and 73 runs defeat against New Zealand on the third day of the second test at Basin Reserve Friday, reports CMC.
The West Indies skipper has complained that his bowlers had the best conditions in both games and still allowed New Zealand to total 609 runs in their first innings in Dunedin and 441 runs in Wellington.
"So far we`ve got two grassy tops and I think we`ve had the better part of the pitch on both occasions and we`ve not been able to get the wickets," said Sammy.
"We`ve got to learn from the opposition. We are in their backyard and what they`re doing. I think it`s quite simple and basic."
While the West Indies bowlers struggled the New Zealand seamers consistently undermined their batting led by Trent Boult who delivered career-best figures of 10 for 80 in the second test while Tim Southee took five wickets in that match.
"The seamers have got to get the wickets and we`ve not been able to do that. If you look at our pitch maps we will probably be scattered all over the place," Sammy told reporters.
"If I look at the New Zealand bowlers they`ll be hitting that fuller, six-metre length more often than us which is where you tend to create most chances and the New Zealand seamers have been getting wickets."
The West Indies were on the brink of defeat in the opening test match but clawed their way back to force a draw thanks to a double century from Darren Bravo and some inclement weather.
"I thought as a team we left Dunedin with confidence, especially the way we played to save the Test," said Sammy.
"To come down here and lose 16 wickets in a day is very disappointing. The first Test we batted well in the second innings, this Test we barely faced 100 overs which is not good for any international side."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America