Darren Sammy to play his 100th ODI on Tuesday
Guyana: Lion-hearted all-rounder Darren Sammy will mark a special career milestone in Tuesday`s second One-Day International against Pakistan, when he suits up for his 100th ODI for West Indies.
The 29-year-old, who made his debut nine years ago, described the match as one of the "highlights" of his career but said he had no intentions of changing his approaching to the contest at the Guyana National Stadium.
"When I first started I never really had any thoughts of playing a hundred matches or anything like that. All I really wanted to do was represent the West Indies and give my all on every occasion out there on the field," the Windies Number 88 said.
"God has blessed me with the talent and I give him all credit. It is good to play games for the West Indies. Yes it is a milestone for me, but I will approach it as any other game before, preparing myself both physically and mentally well and make sure I am match ready if selected, for tomorrow`s match. I see this as one of the highlight moments of my career."
Sammy recalled some of the other highlights of his career, including the West Indies sensational victory in the ICC Champions Trophy final at the Oval in England in 2004, which was actually his first tour with the regional team.
The hard-hitting right-hander has a career-best knock of 84, a blazing innings off just 50 balls against Australia in his native St Lucia last year, while his best bowling was 4-26 with the new ball against Zimbabwe at Arnos Vale, St Vincent three years ago.
West Indies will be hoping to bounce back after losing Sunday`s opening match by 126 runs, following a poor batting performance.
Fast bowler Jason Holder took a career-best four-wicket haul to have Pakistan on the ropes at 47-5 but they recovered to make 224. West Indies then suffered a slump to lose by 126 runs.
Despite the result, Sammy remained optimistic and promised a much improved display when the two teams take the field on Tuesday.
"We have been through times like this before, but someway and somehow we found a way to bounce back. If we are honest with ourselves as cricketers, we know where we all went wrong. It is about putting consistently, good performances on the cricket pitch," he pointed out.
"We had a good start from the spell Jason gave us, but we did not capitalize on that and that is something we really got to improve on, which is driving home the advantage when we have teams in critical positions with our bowling."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark