Dav Whatmore is useless: Iqbal Qasim
Karachi: Pakistan`s former chief selector Iqbal Qasim has described the national team`s Australian coach Dav Whatmore as "useless".
The former Test spinner, who resigned as chief selector in May, said that Whatmore had added no value to the team or Pakistan cricket.
"From what I have seen he is there only for a job and he has no interest in the future or well being of Pakistan cricket," he said.
Qasim said he foreign coaches have always failed to deliver because they towed the line of the captain to ensure job security and had nothing to add to the team.
"Whatmore also just says or does what the captain wants and he is contributing nothing to our cricket," he said.
The Pakistan Cricket Board is reportedly paying Whatmore a monthly salary of around Rs 1.6 million with other perks and benefits.
The Australian`s contract is due for review early next year and indications are that the PCB will not retain him after he completes his two-year term.
"Local coaches do speak up and make their point which is not the case now," he said.
Qasim felt that the selectors need to be given final authority in selection matters.
"The captain and coach should be independent while deciding on the playing XI but the squad should be prerogative of the selectors. Unfortunately in the past there were many instances where we were overruled," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption