Dav Whatmore steps down from position of KKR coach
Kolkata: Tipped to take over as Pakistan coach, Dav Whatmore today resigned from the post of chief coach Kolkata Knight Riders citing his inability to continue in the job.
Whatmore who replaced John Buchanan before the third edition of Indian Premier League coached the team for two seasons. In the first season, they finished sixth but a revamped team under Gautam Gambhir reached the knock-outs during the last edition thereby qualifying for the Champions League.
In his parting statement, Whatmore said, "The team has progressed in the right direction... I wish the team continued success and look forward to them progressing to silverware in 2012. Many thanks to those who have supported and believed in me."
It is learnt that the Pakistan Cricket Board has invited Whatmore in the second week of January to discuss his appointment.
The Knight Riders CEO, Venky Mysore in his statement also indicated that Whatmore won`t be around as he wants to pursue an international coaching role.
"We have been most supportive of Dav`s keen interest in pursuing an international coaching role and wish him the very best. His decision to resign is to ensure that KKR is able to plan for the transition and we thank him for that," Mysore said.
With the IPL V auction slated for February 4, the likely replacement is expected to be announced very shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore