Dav Whatmore steps down from position of KKR coach
Kolkata: Tipped to take over as Pakistan coach, Dav Whatmore today resigned from the post of chief coach Kolkata Knight Riders citing his inability to continue in the job.
Whatmore who replaced John Buchanan before the third edition of Indian Premier League coached the team for two seasons. In the first season, they finished sixth but a revamped team under Gautam Gambhir reached the knock-outs during the last edition thereby qualifying for the Champions League.
In his parting statement, Whatmore said, "The team has progressed in the right direction... I wish the team continued success and look forward to them progressing to silverware in 2012. Many thanks to those who have supported and believed in me."
It is learnt that the Pakistan Cricket Board has invited Whatmore in the second week of January to discuss his appointment.
The Knight Riders CEO, Venky Mysore in his statement also indicated that Whatmore won`t be around as he wants to pursue an international coaching role.
"We have been most supportive of Dav`s keen interest in pursuing an international coaching role and wish him the very best. His decision to resign is to ensure that KKR is able to plan for the transition and we thank him for that," Mysore said.
With the IPL V auction slated for February 4, the likely replacement is expected to be announced very shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country