Dawood Ibrahim offered car to Indian team if they beat Pakistan in 1986: Dilip Vengsarkar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a big revelation, former Indian cricketer Dilip Vengsarkar has claimed that underworld don Dawood Ibrahim had offered car to each member of Indian cricket team including Kapil Dev as a reward if they defeated Pakistan in the final of Austral-Asia Cup in 1986.
Vengsarkar revealed that after the pre-match press conference, Dawood visited the Indian dressing room and was introduced as a businessman.
He said that if Indian team defeated Pakistan in the Austral-Asia Cup final, being played in Sharjah, he will gift Toyota Corolla to each member of the Indian team.
Kapil entered the dressing room and enquired about the presence of Dawood, apparently unaware who he was. He promptly asked him to vacate the room.
Angered by Kapil’s reaction, Dawood left the dressing room and cancelled his offer.
In an interview to Zee News, Kapil Dev corroborated the incident and said he didn’t know who Dawood was at the time but he denied remembering chiding him.
Pakistan went on to win the final by one wicket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir