Dawood Ibrahim offered car to Indian team if they beat Pakistan in 1986: Dilip Vengsarkar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a big revelation, former Indian cricketer Dilip Vengsarkar has claimed that underworld don Dawood Ibrahim had offered car to each member of Indian cricket team including Kapil Dev as a reward if they defeated Pakistan in the final of Austral-Asia Cup in 1986.
Vengsarkar revealed that after the pre-match press conference, Dawood visited the Indian dressing room and was introduced as a businessman.
He said that if Indian team defeated Pakistan in the Austral-Asia Cup final, being played in Sharjah, he will gift Toyota Corolla to each member of the Indian team.
Kapil entered the dressing room and enquired about the presence of Dawood, apparently unaware who he was. He promptly asked him to vacate the room.
Angered by Kapil’s reaction, Dawood left the dressing room and cancelled his offer.
In an interview to Zee News, Kapil Dev corroborated the incident and said he didn’t know who Dawood was at the time but he denied remembering chiding him.
Pakistan went on to win the final by one wicket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?