Day 1 of 3rd Test between England and West Indies washed out
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Birmingham: The first day's play in the third Test between England and the West Indies at Edgbaston was washed out without a ball being bowled.
After sealing a series victory in the second Test, England have opted to give the tired legs some rest, irrespective of the player`s opinion. Anderson, who has been marvelous with the ball in this series has been asked to sit out owing to a few niggles and that is surely going to affect the make up of England`s famed seam attack.
Steven Finn and Graham Onions are the two options that England can exploit on a track in Birmingham, which should be quite damp at this time of the year. In all likelihood, Finn will get the nod and with the pace and the bounce that he extracts (he is 6` 7`` mind you), West Indies might just have a few shaky days ahead. Apart from that though, England will have the same side as the one that played the first two Tests.
Sunil Narine has been the talk of the town and has gone pretty much viral in the past two and a half months. So much so, that he has pushed his way into the Test squad owing to Kemar Roach`s injury. After a stunning display in the Indian Premier League, the mystery spinner will be expected to deliver the goods in the third Test, if he gets the chance.
There is still a lot for West Indies to ponder over. Roach`s absence will surely hurt the visitors; it was his raw pace that at times seemed menacing and had the English batsman in quite a quandary. If Narine is expected to take over, then he will have to replace Shane Shillingford, who certainly hasn`t done too bad for himself until now. The big question though, is if Narine will be able to produce the turn that he displayed in India. Birmingham will be nothing like the track at Kolkata and the ball will probably just skid through on a damp pitch.
West Indies (From): Darren Sammy(c), Kirk Edwards, Adrian Barath, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Fidel Edwards, Assad Fudadin, Shannon Gabriel, Kieran Powell, Denesh Ramdin(w), Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Shane Shillingford, Tino Best
England (From): Andrew Strauss(c), Alastair Cook, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Jonathan Bairstow, Matt Prior(w), Stuart Broad, Tim Bresnan, Graeme Swann, Graham Onions, Steven Finn
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Earthquake rocks southwest France, no casualties reported
- West Bengal polls fifth phase to decide fate of four Narada 'stung' Trinamool biggies
- Campaigning ends for Bengal polls fifth phase
- Turkish scribes get two years jail for publishing Prophet cartoon
- 60 percent voting in 2nd phase of panchayat polls in Bihar