DDCA to give Rs 25 lakh to Virender Sehwag
New Delhi: The DDCA on Friday announced a cash prize of Rs 25 lakh for Virender Sehwag, who etched his name into the record books following his knock of 219 runs against the West Indies in the fourth one-dayer at Indore`s Holkar Stadium.
"The Delhi and District Cricket Association has decided to give Rs 25 lakh award to Virender Sehwag as a mark of respect and honour for making world record in ODIs," DDCA general secretary Sneh Bansal said in a release.
The swashbuckling opener, who is currently leading India team in the absence of M S Dhoni, yesterday created history by hitting the highest-ever ODI score as he edged past Sachin Tendulkar`s record total of 200 not out, scored last year against South Africa at Gwalior`s Captain Roop Singh Stadium.
India amassed a huge 418 runs against the Caribbeans, surpassing their previous best of 414 against Sri Lanka at Rajkot in 2009, courtesy to some lusty blows by the `Delhi-dasher`, who smashed seven sixes and 25 fours to bring up only the second double ton in the history of one-day cricket.
The West Indies in reply could just muster only 265 to go down to the hosts by 153 runs and lose the series.
India are up 3-1 in the five-match rubber with the last ODI to be played in Chennai on December 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!