De Kock`s explosive batting leaves De Villiers with Smith `selection conundrum`
Johannesburg: Despite a stunning 141 run victory over India at the Wanderers on Thursday, the Proteas are facing a selection conundrum with Graeme Smith facing a spell on the sidelines, according to reports.
According to Sport24, Quinton de Kock produced a man-of-the-match performance as he bludgeoned his way to 135 runs from 121 balls, and could be closing the selection door on the newly out-of-favour Smith.
South African captain AB De Villiers said it would only be on a batsman-friendly wicket where he would even consider slotting in the former captain.
Hashim Amla (65 runs off 88 balls) and De Kock batted three balls short of the first 30 overs for a 152 run partnership and a return to the opening role for Smith seems increasingly unlikely, the report said.
De Kock also provides the aggressive left-handed option, which compliments the measured approach of Amla, the report added.
De Villiers, however, said Smith would have to keep working to make a return to the side.
Indian captain MS Dhoni, meanwhile, said it was just a bad performance by his side, which led to the massive margin of defeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?