De Kock`s explosive batting leaves De Villiers with Smith `selection conundrum`
Johannesburg: Despite a stunning 141 run victory over India at the Wanderers on Thursday, the Proteas are facing a selection conundrum with Graeme Smith facing a spell on the sidelines, according to reports.
According to Sport24, Quinton de Kock produced a man-of-the-match performance as he bludgeoned his way to 135 runs from 121 balls, and could be closing the selection door on the newly out-of-favour Smith.
South African captain AB De Villiers said it would only be on a batsman-friendly wicket where he would even consider slotting in the former captain.
Hashim Amla (65 runs off 88 balls) and De Kock batted three balls short of the first 30 overs for a 152 run partnership and a return to the opening role for Smith seems increasingly unlikely, the report said.
De Kock also provides the aggressive left-handed option, which compliments the measured approach of Amla, the report added.
De Villiers, however, said Smith would have to keep working to make a return to the side.
Indian captain MS Dhoni, meanwhile, said it was just a bad performance by his side, which led to the massive margin of defeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks
- 33 killed in renewed clashes across Yemen
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'