De Villiers says ODI top spot not in Proteas’ minds during England tour
Johannesburg: South Africa one-day captain AB de Villiers has claimed he wasn’t even aware of team’s limited over rankings prior to their England tour, and added the becoming world’s number one team was not on their minds.
Proteas need to win the final one-day match at Nottingham on Wednesday to tie the five-match series two all after the first match of the series was washed out due to rain.
South Africa pipped England to become world’s number one ODI team after winning the second match, but consecutives defeats in the series has again pushed them back to second position.
Even winning the final one-day match would keep South Africa behind England, and when asked about losing the numero uno status, De Villiers said it was immaterial.
“It was never our focus before this tour. I didn’t even know where we were ranked,”
“Anyway, you can’t think or talk about world rankings when you are only playing at 70 percent capacity,” he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Cute, adorable Royal baby Princess Charlotte at six months: Clicked by Mom Kate - See pic