De Villiers says proud of Proteas performance in ODI comeback win against Lanka
Johannesburg: South African captain AB de Villiers said that he cannot express how proud he is of his team, which ended their four-match ODI winless streak by beating Sri Lanka by 56 runs in the third ODI at the Pallekele International Cricket Ground on Friday.
According to Sport24, the Proteas managed to keep their series hopes alive in the game, in which De Villiers elected to bat after winning the toss, adding that David Miller was the star of the Proteas` innings, smashing a robust 85 not out off 72 balls to steer South Africa to 223-7.
The report further said that the left-handed Miller smashed five sixes and four boundaries and helped recover the match for the tourists after a three-wicket haul from unorthodox spinner Ajantha Mendis reduced South Africa to 154-7 in the 42nd over.
De Villiers said that it is hard to explain how proud he is of his team as it was the first time in 19 years and 327 days that the Proteas have beaten Sri Lanka in their backyard, adding that they have given a very good performance.
However, the skipper said that they did not have an easy time in the game as they under pressure throughout the match, adding that they did not have enough partnerships going.
Meanwhile, Sri Lankan Test and one-day captain Angelo Mathews has praised his teammate Thisara Perera , saying that Perera is turning out to be a good all-rounder.
Even though the hosts were defeated in the third ODI, they have a 2-1 lead in the series, the report added.
Praising Perera for showing his skills in all the formats of the game, Mathews said that despite the pitch showing difficulties for the batsmen, it seemed as if Perera was batting on a different wicket.
However, Perera was caught in the deep by Faf du Plessis and perished for a 49-ball 65, with Mathews saying that he should have stayed with Perera as he was playing well, adding that they needed to get back their game in the fourth ODI on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3