De Zoysa appointed new Sri Lanka team manager
Colombo: Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has announced the appointment of Michael de Zoysa as the new manager of the national cricket team.
De Zoysa replaces Charith Senanayake who had held the position for over an year. A senior official of the SLC who did not wish to be named said that De Zoysa would take charge of the team from this month`s home series against Bangladesh.
A tea industry executive, De Zoysa is more known for his administrative roles and as a radio and TV commentator.
Senanayake, a former Test opening batsman had run into problems with the SLC hierarchy.
His fate was sealed once former Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayaeardene in a press release stated that Senanayake has lost confidence of the team.
Jayawardene was particularly angry as a letter written by him to the SLC regarding the payment of guarantee money to the players was leaked to the media by the manager.
Jayawardene`s request that guarantee money be paid to the supporting staff was rejected by the SLC. The former captain took exception to the matter being exposed in the media.
The SLC CEO, Ajith Jayasekera said that both Jayawardene and team manager Senanayake would be asked to explain in what he termed a breach of contract by both.
Since Sri Lanka lost the recent Test series 0-3 to Australia, a number of changes have been affected including the appointment of the former great Sanath Jayasuriya as the chief selector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave