Delhi all but through to knock-out round after 3rd bonus point
New Delhi: Hosts Delhi have almost assured themselves a place in the knock-out round of the National One Day Championship for the Vijay Hazare Trophy after beating Himachal Pradesh by eight wickets, on Friday.
This was Delhi`s third victory with bonus point and now they have 15 points from three matches with a couple of more matches left against Haryana and Services.
After the bowlers shot out HP for 103 in 39.1 overs, the batsmen achieved the target in 25.3 overs with Shikhar Dhawan remaining unbeaten on 55.
Even the absence of senior-pro Ashish Nehra, who opted because of fever, didn`t change the familiar script of Delhi dominating the proceedings from the start.
Parvinder Awana (3/22) again bowled an incisive first spell while left-arm pacer Pawan Suyal (2/23) making a comeback after long lay-off was equally effective.
Having lost their top three batsmen within first 10 overs, HP never recovered as they kept losing wickets at regular intervals. Awana now has nine wickets from three matches.
Save Paras Dogra (20) and Vikramjit Malik (24), none of the other batsmen were willing to fight out on a pitch where there was good carry and the ball came onto bat nicely.
When Delhi batted Dhawan finally found some form as he struck eight boundaries. His partner Unmukt Chand scored 27 with the help of two fours and two sixes before Rishi Dhawan bowled him. Manan Sharma didn`t show any footwork and was caught at second slip off Jitender Mehta`s bowling.
However there was some bad news for Delhi as Pradeep Sangwan has suffered a finger injury while going for a tough caught and bowled chance off his own bowling. The batsman was Dogra. Sangwan is unlikely to play the remaining two matches. Suyal also got hit on shin but the team management insisted that he is fit to play next game.
Brief Scores: HP 103 in 39.1 overs (P Awana 3/22, P Suyal 2/23). Delhi 107/2 in 25.3 overs (S Dhawan 55 no). Delhi won by 8 wkts. Pts: Delhi 5; HP -1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka