Delhi beat Haryana by 105 runs in Ranji Trophy
New Delhi: Pacer Ishant Sharma bowled an inspired spell in the post lunch session as Delhi beat a dogged Haryana side by 105 runs in their fourth round Ranji Trophy Group A encounter here on Sunday.
Chasing a target of 376, Haryana were all out for 270 in 70 overs.
Sachin Rana produced a gutsy effort of an unbeaten 86 but Ishant dismissed the tail-enders in the post lunch session to seal the match in favour of the home side. Ishant got four for 76 in the second innings as his match haul was 9/109.
However, credit should be given to Haryana for making a match out of it starting the day at 63 for five.
Rana, who played 124 balls, hit eight boundaries and two huge sixes off Rajat Bhatia. He had a fruitful partnership with Jayant Yadav which produced 117 runs. Yadav was more attacking of the two, scoring 60 off 62 balls with nine boundaries.
It was Varun Sood who dismissed Yadav who was bowled while dancing down the track. In came Joginder Sharma (35), who added 63 runs for the seventh wicket.
Joginder`s 35 came off 52 with five fours. It was 256 for seven when Ishant did the trick with old ball.
He first got Joginder bowled and then bowled a couple of back of length deliveries to dismiss Harshal Patel and Sanjay Badhwar to bring an end to the match.
Gautam Gambhir was named man-of-the match for his match winning 153-run knock. Gambhir`s innings certainly increased his chances of making it as reserve opener for the Test squad for India`s South Africa tour next month.
• Delhi 201 and 312/7 decl.
• Haryana 138 and 270 in 70 overs (Sachin Rana 86 not out, Jayant Yadav 60, Ishant Sharma 4/76, Varun Sood 4/49).
• Delhi won by 104 runs.
• Delhi 6 points; Haryana 0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...