Delhi comprehensively beat J&K to earn bonus point
New Delhi: A comprehensive performance by Delhi helped them beat Jammu & Kashmir by 125 runs in their opening encounter of the North Zone leg of the National One Day Championship for the Vijay Hazare Trophy on Monday.
Put into bat, Delhi were all out for 245 in 49.4 overs but their bowlers kept things tight to bundle out J&K for a paltry 120 in 41.1 overs. The huge win ensured a bonus point for the hosts.
Delhi skipper Rajat Bhatia (3/17) and pacer Parvinder Awana (3/23) were the most successful bowlers while veteran Ashish Nehra (1/16) also looked in good rhythm during his five-over opening spell. Pradeep Sangwan (2/17) also chipped in with two wickets.
It was a battle of unequals and the youngsters from J&K lacked quality batsmen who could face tried and tested performers like Nehra, Awana and Bhatia.
But credit should be given J&K bowlers especially the two spinners -- leggie Bandeep Singh (2/30) and left-arm spinner Raman Datta (2/32) -- who stemmed the flow of runs in the middle overs. The 20 overs bowled by the duo cost only 62 runs.
The likes of Unmukt Chand (46, 46 balls, 7x4, 1x6), Mithun Manhas (41), Mohit Sharma (36) all got starts but failed to convert them into big scores.
It was Ashish Nehra (22, 13 balls, 3x6) who hit three huge sixes to get Delhi close to 250.
When J&K batted, they never got going. All eyes were on their best bet Ian Dev Singh (6) but he played on to a Sangwan delivery.
Former India captain Bishan Singh Bedi, who is the consultant of the J&K team, admitted that lot of work needs to be done.
"The boys didn`t get much time for practice. But they need to improve in all departments of the game," Bedi said.
Brief Scores: Delhi 245 in 49.4 (Unmukt Chand 46, Samiullah Beigh 3/52). J&K 120 in 41.1 overs (Rajat Bhatia 3/17, Parvinder Awana 3/23, Ashish Nehra (1/16).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof