Determined Tendulkar sweats it out at Eden
Kolkata: One short of his 100th international ton, Sachin Tendulkar was a picture of concentration as he batted for close to 45 minutes at nets on the eve of India`s second Test against the West Indies, on Sunday.
Tendulkar who normally goes for light throw-ins ahead of a match, was seen in a different role today as he kept on batting, facing spinners as well as pacers.
Under the watchful eyes of coach Duncan Fletcher, the 38-year-old had an intense session as the Indian bowlers, sans offspinner Ravichandran Ashwin, sweated it out.
He played his trademark straight drives, while at the same time he was making it a point to loft a few balls over the fence, highlighting his determination to get to the mark at the historic Eden Gardens.
Earlier on Saturday, Tendulkar requested the hosts association to raise the sightscreen height, which was later raised to 20 feet.
He stroked fluently with his front foot right at the pitch of delivery as about a thousand spectators watched the master in awe and inspiration.
Tendulkar was among the first to enter the field and was in the last batch to leave the ground with cheers of `Sachin, Sachin` from the stands.
The Indians had a practice session in the morning, spanning more than two hours, as the batters came in turns.
Tendulkar batted alongside VVS Laxman while Rahul Dravid, Virat Kohli and Yuvraj Singh batted next.
The senior most pro was also seen in a long discussion with Eden`s leading run-scorer Laxman, who has a great record at the Eden including his 281 against the Aussies in the epic 2001 Test.
The West Indies trained in the afternoon session.
India won the first Test by five wickets to lead the three match series 1-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof