Devon Smith eyes the Sir Vivian Richards Award
St. John`s (Antigua): Windward Islands opening batsman Devon Smith remains the leading run scorer ahead of the next round of matches in the Caribbean`s four-day and Super 50 competitions.
Smith has totalled 456 runs in four-day format at an average of 76, becoming the leading contender for the Sir Vivian Richards Award for batsman.
The 31-year-old Grenadian left-handed stroke-maker has also added another 203 runs in the Super 50 at an average of 67.67.
The former West Indies opener, who currently tops the charts in both formats, says his goal is to score a few more centuries and surpass 800 runs in the four-day season this year.
He already has two centuries under his belt in the four-day format and one in the Super 50.
Guyana`s Leon Johnson is second on four-day batting table with 299 runs followed by Barbados` Kirk Edwards on 269 runs.
Another Grenadian, Andre Fletcher, has the second most runs in the Super50 with a total of 171.
Meantime, Smith`s Windward Islands teammate and West Indies off spinner Shane Shillingford is leading the charge to collect the Courtney Walsh Award for the bowling taking the most wickets in the four day tournament.
Shillingford has 24 scalps at an average of 15.67 and a best innings haul of 7 for 63 and is followed by left-arm spinners Nikita Miller 19 wickets, and Veerasammy Permaul 18 wickets.
In the shorter version, Combined Campuses and Colleges and former West Indies Under 19 spinner Derone Davis has the most wickets.
The Trinidadian has bagged nine wickets from four matches with a best for three for 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire