Dharmadasa, Nishantha elected to top SLC positions unopposed
Colombo: Jayantha Dharmadasa and Nishantha Ranatunga were elected uncontested as chairman and secretary respectively of Sri Lanka Cricket at its Annual General Meeting here, on Tuesday.
The AGM saw the unprecedented secret ballot voting for election of office bearers conducted by the national elections department officials.
Dharmadasa succeeded his brother Upali as the latter`s nomination and that of two other contenders were rejected on technical grounds.
Nishantha Ranatunga was re-elected unopposed as no one contested against him.
Tilanga Sumathipala, whose bid for chairmanship was rejected, said soon after voting ended that the AGM had failed to answer some of the pressing queries about cricket administration.
"There were problems about audited accounts and an unexplained rise of expenditure by 70 million rupees even after 37 jobs had been cut," Sumathipala said.
Sri Lanka Cricket, once the island`s richest sporting bodies, is currently facing a liquidity crisis.
The losses incurred due to developing of two new stadiums to host the 2011 World Cup had left the SLC in red.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation