Dhoni backs bowlers despite crushing defeat
Mirpur: India plunged to a humiliating five-wicket defeat against Bangladesh after setting them a challenging 290-run target but India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni reposed faith in his bowlers, saying they will learn from mistakes and start performing under pressure.
Bangladesh pulled off a stunning win thanks to a fantastic team effort as the top and middle batting order batted with never-say-die attitude. Dhoni said a better team won the match in the end.
"They played better cricket throughout. They began well and capitalised on that. They made sure they spent time on the crease. At the start of the Powerplay our bowlers felt the pressure and crumbled. A a bit more runs on the board would have been better," Dhoni said after the match.
Asked if his side lacked bowling talent, Dhoni said," Talent is there. They just need to execute plans with consistency. The youngsters will learn more. They will start performing. They felt the pressure today."
Dhoni was full of praise for the hosts.
"Bangladesh can play really well on their day, they used the conditions well, their reverse swing bowling was good. And they got the partnerships going."
Reacting to Sachin Tendulkar`s historic 100th international century, Dhoni said," This is something most of us cannot even think of. It is a tremendous achievement. We cannot forget this."
Tendulkar was presented a commerative plaque by the Bangladesh Cricket Board for his achievement.
Winning skipper Mushfiqur Rahim, who himself played a terrific 46 run knock off just 25 balls in his team`s win, dedicated the win to former teammate Manjural Islam Rana, who passed by five years back
"It`s a huge moment for us. We want to dedicate this to Manjural Islam Rana. Today it was a great, we really appreciate our win. We stood up today. The bowlers did a good job and batsmen gave a good start and then capitalised," he said.
Shakib Al Hasan, who set up the win after his fiery 49 off 31 balls, said the victory was a result of team effort.
"It was a great team effort, we batted really sensibly. I`m a very happy man now. The innings was crucial because I gave the rest the belief they could win. We had a plan to put Nasir up the order. If we win against Sri Lanka we can make the final but we don`t want to depend on others," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why