Dhoni becomes most successful India Test captain
Hyderabad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni has become the most successful Indian Test captain, surpassing Sourav Ganguly after India won the second cricket Test against Australia by an innings and 135 runs here Tuesday.
The 31-year-old Dhoni, who has recorded two World Cup wins (2007-T20, 2011-ODI), now has 22 Test wins, one more than Ganguly.
Mohammed Azharuddin is third with 14 wins while Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi and Sunil Gavaskar are tied on fourth with nine wins each.
Ganguly`s record of 21 Test wins stood for eight years before Dhoni overtook him after inflicting another humiliating loss on Australia.
Australia also earned the dubious distinction of becoming the first cricket team in the history of Test cricket to lose a match by an innings after having declared in the first innings.
Dhoni has captained India in 45 matches, won 22, lost 12 and drawn 11, for a winning percentage of 48.88. It seems more than likely that Dhoni`s figures will only improve as the series progresses.
Dhoni has recorded more wins in fewer games than Ganguly. Dhoni also has three overseas wins, one each in New Zealand, South Africa and the West Indies.
Ganguly led India in 49 matches - 21 win, 13 loss and 15 draw - and has a winning percentage of 42.85.
Azharuddin on the other hand has an equal number of win-loss record. He has won 14, lost 14 and drawn 19 out of the 49 matches he captained India.
Both Pataudi and Gavaskar have won nine matches as captain but the former has taken 40 Tests, losing 19 and drawing 12.
Gavaskar slides down the list as he took 47 matches to record nine wins. But the batting great holds the distinction of scoring the most runs (3449) while leading the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says