Dhoni defends decision to opt for a draw
Roseau: Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni defended the decision not to press for a win in the third and final Test against the West Indies, saying that his side could have lost the match while going for the target.
India, who had already taken an unbeatable 1-0 lead in the three-match Test series, were 94 for three just before the start of mandatory 15 overs while chasing 180 for a win before Dhoni decided to end the run chase.
"Not disappointed about stopping the run chase. We were risking a series win going after the target. We realised that it was not worth going for it after those wickets, we gave it a go but we are happy with the series win," Dhoni said after the match at the Windsor Park.
"We did well in this game. West Indies batted well actually, we are not disappointed in any way," he said.
West Indies skipper Darren Sammy said he was a bit surprised that India opted not to press for a win.
"I was a bit surprised that India ended their run chase but we will take it. We are very happy with the draw," he said.
Talking about the pitch and India`s team composition, Dhoni said, "We were not sure about the wicket. If we go with a 2-2 combination and the track turns out to be flat, that can be a problem. We knew we had bowlers who could spin the all if it started taking turn, like Raina.
"Harbhajan was getting a bit of spin and bounce and he got valuable wickets, not much help for the fast bowlers, they did well," he said.
Dhoni said the series was a good exposure for youngsters and he felt good to see Ishant Sharma take responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?