Dhoni, Gambhir long for Yuvi`s quick recovery after win
Adelaide: India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni and opener Gautam Gambhir today longed for Yuvraj Singh`s quick recovery and hoped the left-hander would overcome health issues and make a strong comeback.
Yuvraj is currently undergoing chemotherapy in the US, for a malignant tumour in between lungs.
"He will get well soon, he is someone who loves challenges and I believe he will come out strong," Dhoni said about Yuvraj after leading his side to a four-wicket win over Australia in the ODI tri-series here.
Gambhir too wished for the left-hander`s qucik recovery to the Indian team.
"There is a message for a very good friend. We want Yuvraj to get well soon. This is the place where he belongs and we are missing him a lot," Gambhir, who was named the man of the match for his knock of 92, said.
Needing 13 to win in the final over, Dhoni smashed Clint McKay for a massive six, which helped India to eventually seal the issue and the skipper said it was special shot.
"This six was very special. This was the match when we needed that six. The World Cup six was also special but we could have done that with singles," Dhoni said.
India have recorded their second consecutive win but Dhoni felt shot selection still required improvement.
"You have to analyse whether you should be playing that shot. There were a few shots we shouldn`t have played in this game so we need to work on that," he said.
Dhoni said the plan was to take the game till the end.
"I told Suresh (Raina) that let`s take the game till the end. That was the time they were bowling well. So the idea was to take the game till the end and make use of the bad deliveries."
Dhoni also said that his team is taking things one game at a time.
"It`s always great to be in the top 2, but it`s important to take one game at a time, no need to think about the finals. We need to now concentrate one game at a time," Dhoni said.
Gambhir was relieved to have beaten the Aussies for the first time in the series.
"It was an important match for us against Australia, and I have happy to be contributing to the team`s success. Any runs in Australia is special."
As for Dhoni`s gigantic six, Gambhir said, "Dhoni is a good finisher and he stays calm and that`s important in those situations."
Australian captain Michael Clarke said they they were 10-20 runs short.
"We were 10-20 short and the fielding was sloppy."
Clarke had a word of praise for Dhoni, who finished it off for India.
"I have saying for a long time, the entire summer. He (Dhoni) played that innings beautifully and full credit to him Dhoni is a very good one-day player," Clarke said.
The Australian skipper was also happy for Peter Forrest who made 66 on debut.
"Great to see Forrest get an opportunity, he made the most of it."
"The last two games have been tight. Now it`s about how we come back in Sydney."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested