Dhoni may pick Sreesanth in place of Nehra
Mumbai: Pacer S Sreesanth may be brought into the Indian team in place of injured Ashish Nehra for the summit clash against Sri Lanka in the World Cup cricket final here on Saturday.
Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni also issued a veiled warning to the Sri Lankans saying the home team has not played to its fullest potential and "there is plenty to come" and was prepared to take on veteran spinner Muttiah Muralitharan.
With swing bowler Ashish Nehra virtually ruled out of the grand finale due to a multiple finger fracture he suffered in the semifinal clash against Pakistan, Dhoni appeared to indicate his preference in the toss up between S Sreesanth and off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin.
"Ashish is most likely ruled out he`s got multiple fracture on one of his fingers," he said adding that the choice could be between Sreesanth and Ashwin.
"If you see the Mumbai track there`s a bit of pace and bounce for the seamers initially and there is a bit of reverse swing going. The third seamer can have an impact on the game. An extra seamer means I am able to manoeuvre the bowlers," the skipper said at the pre-match press conference," Dhoni said.
The skipper, who had surprised everyone by keeping Ashwin out of the Mohali encounter after his good performance in two matches, said "With a spinner, if you have three spinners along with a part-timer you don`t have room for manoeuvre. But whatever opportunity Ashwin has got, irrespective of where he has fared, he has done really well.”
"We have confidence in him but we are not clear about whether to go with three seamers or two seamers and one extra spinner," he said.
Sreesanth had not played after the tournament opener on February 19 against Bangladesh at Mirpur, and asked how he can slip into his groove after such a lengthy absence from the middle, Dhoni said it can be done if one looked at tomorrow`s final as just another game.
"Don`t look at it as the final but as another game. Sree has done well for us most of the games he has played, he has done well. He`s one character who can definitely swing the ball and get you early wickets. Choosing one individual over other is difficult but let`s hope whoever gets chosen will perform at his best," he said.
"Unfortunately, we have not been able to give him more chances to play. Even in the first game, he played I thought he did not bowl badly. After that we gave chances to other individuals which I think were needed at that point of time. It`s more about who suits the condition more. Let`s hope whoever plays just performs," said Dhoni.
Asked about Sreesanth`s on-field antics, Dhoni said, "The only person who can control Sreesanth is Sreesanth himself. It`s beyond my control. He`s a player who gets excited when it comes to big games. If he`s playing he will be in a good frame
He conceded that the team was a bit drained after the semifinal victory against Pakistan in Mohali but was happy that there was only a short gap between that emotion-charged match and the final.
Giving the Lankans a piece of his strategy, he said "There is plenty to come. Still we have done quite well in the tournament. We have won one game with quite a few runs in pocket and another with quite a few wickets. If we do everything we can it will be very interesting (match). You want to end the tournament on a good note. It`s a big game for all of us. Irrespective of what the result is I am proud of the team I have," he added.
Speaking about Muralitharan, Dhoni said in a lighter vein that the retiring spinner, who is carrying a knee injury, will play even on one leg if it comes to that. "As far as Muralitharan is concerned he`s a very special individual and was part of the Chennai Super Kings (IPL franchise) for the last three years. He`s a very good character to have in the dressing room and equally good opponent. He plays fair cricket, he believes himself and he`s a great entertainment on the field. I think he will definitely play the game unless he is on one leg," he said.
Dhoni said though it was coach Gary Kirsten`s last match as India coach, the team was focusing on the game and not what comes later.
"Everyone wants to do well in this game including Gary. It`s about the present, we all know what Gary has done to the team, how he has changed Indian cricket, the dressing room atmosphere and the effort he has put it. We will think about it later. First things first, it`s the final tomorrow," he said.
He said that tomorrow`s being the final, the team winning the toss would like to bat first and put up a score to defend. "It`s a big game, being the final. More often than not most teams would love to bat first, put runs on board and put pressure on the opposition. I feel that will be the only aspect.”
"The wicket may become slower as the game progresses but I don`t think there will be too much of a difference apart from handling pressure which may be more in the second innings," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE