Dhoni should introspect his leadership skills: Akram
New Delhi: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has said Mahendra Singh Dhoni must ask himself whether he should be leading India in all three formats of the game but also feels that it won`t be right to rush young Virat Kohli into captaincy.
"I am not surprised that questions are being raised about Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s leadership skills after India failed to reach the semis of the ICC World T20 for the third time in a row. Perhaps Dhoni should take some time out and assess himself as a captain. He himself is the best judge of his skills as a leader," Akram wrote in his column on ESPNStar.com.
Akram feels there could be additional pressure on Dhoni as a leader in all three formats of the game.
"I really think if he drops captaincy in one of the formats then he will be able to focus and enjoy his game more. I still feel he is one of the best players and finishers in limited overs cricket," he said.
The legendary fast bowler, however, feels that Kohli, who is being seen as the next Indian captain should not be rushed into the hot seat.
"As far as blooding young Virat Kohli as captain in smaller formats is concerned, I think that should wait. The guy is in the form of his life. He has been India`s most consistent batsman over the past 18 months or so. Let him enjoy his game and not put any other responsibility on him at the moment. Kohli must not be burdened with team selection issues and other important decision-making matters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India