Didn`t hear Harbhajan`s nick due to noisy Trent Bride: Broad
London: It was because of the noisy Trent Bridge atmosphere the English players could not hear Harbhajan Singh`s thick inside edge on to his pad on the second day of the just-concluded second cricket Test, according to pacer Stuart Broad.
During a hostile spell in the final session of the day, Broad picked up five wickets without conceding a run, including a hat-trick.
The hat-trick included the wickets of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Harbhajan and Praveen Kumar, but the Indian off-spinner was unlucky as replays cleared showed that he played the ball on to his pads.
"I went wide on the crease to MS Dhoni and got him to nick a drive to Jimmy Anderson, who took a great catch. Then the noise was so great none of us realised that Harbhajan Singh had got an inside edge on to his pad first ball," Broad said.
The pacer said the English team showed character in the first two days of the Trent Bridge Test, which the hosts won by a massive 319 runs to go 2-0 up in the four-match series.
"The way we hit back when India were on top on both the first and second days showed the character in our side. We are looking to be the best team in the world and that hunger and determination to get there has shone through."
Broad said his aggressive game paid off when England were in the dumps on the first day at Trent Bridge.
"I kept on telling myself to be aggressive and, when you start playing a few shots, the opposition can get away from their plans, which in this case had been working well for India," Broad wrote in a column in the `Daily Mail`.
He said things could have been unpleasant if the controversial run-out appeal against Ian Bell was not withdrawn.
"It was the right decision. I was near the balcony so I joined in with a few of the lads clapping the India team back on to the field for what they had done. They were getting a hostile reception then.”
"It could have been unpleasant if the decision had remained but from then on it was a case of `Job done, well done India, let`s crack on`," Broad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read