Digvijay Singh calls spot-fixing a heinous crime
Singh, however, said that he backs cricket and the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament.
"First and foremost I want to say that I am in favour of Cricket and also IPL. I also favour the way in which cricketers benefit from the IPL. But spot fixing is a heinous crime and stringent action must be taken against those who are involved in it," he said.
BCCI vice-president Arun Jaitley earlier in the day said that there would be some significant developments in the next 24 hours
"Wait for a day and you will hear something significant today," he told mediapersons outside his residence in New Delhi.
There are indications that more senior functionaries would resign to mount pressure on BCCI President N. Srinivasan to step down in the wake of IPL spot-fixing scandal.
Two top BCCI officials -- BCCI Secretary Sanjay Jagdale and Treasurer Ajay Shirke-have tendered their resignations in the wake of spot-fixing scandal.
The chorus for Srinivasan`s ouster as BCCI President has grown louder with BCCI heavyweights appearing to be firm regarding his resignation. Union Minister and former BCCI boss Sharad Pawar has also joined in the attack.
The Sports Ministry has put pressure on Srinivasan, and said that he should tender his resignation on moral grounds, pending the outcome of the inquiry.
Despite suggestions from BCCI heavyweights- Rajeev Shukla and Arun Jaitley-that he should disassociate himself from the procedures of the inquiry commission investigating the spot-fixing scandal, Srinivasan has so far showed no signs of relenting under pressure.
A Mumbai Court yesterday extended the police custody of actor Vindoo Dara Singh and BCCI President N. Srinivasan`s son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan till June 3.
The Mumbai Crime Brach yesterday recorded the statement of Chennai hotelier Vikram Agarwal, a friend of Meiyappan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you