‘Dilemma-stricken’ Oz selectors tossing between Wade, Haddin for keeper role
Sydney: Former NSW and Australia Test wicketkeeper Phil Emery believes Brad Haddin would the better choice for the role of wicketkeeper for next month`s opening Test against South Africa in Brisbane over incumbent first choice keeper Matthew Wade.
``If you were going to try and put both of them in the same side there`s no reason why you couldn`t pick Wade as a batsman, he scored a Test hundred, as has Haddin,`` the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Emery, who took five catches and made a stumping in his only Test against Pakistan in 1994, as saying.
According to the paper, the Australian cricket selectors are considering springing a surprise by naming Wade as the wicketkeeper for next month`s opening Test, but it won`t be at the expense of Haddin keeping wicket.
It is understood Wade, who replaced Haddin as Australia`s keeper for last April`s tour of the Caribbean when the NSW veteran of 43 Tests stood down to be by his daughter Mia`s side as she battled cancer, will possibly be named as a specialist batsman to face the Proteas, the paper said.
However, former Australian skipper Steve Waugh said he thought Haddin could retain his Test place as a batsman, based on his Sheffield Shield century against Tasmania and whirlwind efforts for the Sydney Sixers during their Champions League campaign in South Africa, adding that he thought Haddin, who has averaged 35.82 in Tests, was one of the top six batsmen in Australia.
Emery said the debate could become even tougher later in the season because Tasmania`s gloveman Tim Paine was back on the scene after recovering from an injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt