Dilshan, Sangakkara tons put Sri Lanka on top
Galle: Sri Lanka Former captains Tillakaratne Dilshan and Kumar Sangakkara slammed hundreds as Sri Lanka bludgeoned Pakistan for 300-2 on the first day of the first Test at Galle International Stadium on Friday.
Dilshan opened with 101 for his 13th Test century and Sangakkara was 111 not out at stumps having posted his 29th hundred.
Sangakkara was involved in two century partnerships — he and Dilshan shared 124 for the second wicket, then he and captain Mahela Jaywardene, unbeaten on 55, compiled an unbroken stand of 113.
Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal, who tormented England at the start of the year, claimed both wickets in finishing the day with 2-81.
Ajmal had opener Tharanga Paranavitana stumped for 24 at 63-1. That gave wicketkeeper Adnan Akmal his 50th dismissal in Test cricket.
Dilshan reached his half-century off just 49 deliveries, but he knuckled down for almost four hours to complete his hundred in the afternoon session, sweeping left-arm spinner Abdul Rahman for his 13th boundary.
Dilshan had gone 11 Tests without a century since posting the highest individual score by a Sri Lankan at Lord’s, where he made 193 in 2011.
He was dismissed in the penultimate over before tea when Ajmal trapped him leg before wicket. His second century against Pakistan lasted 180 balls, and included one six.
Sangakkara reached three figures when he pushed Ajmal for a single to mid-off. His chanceless knock, at 194 balls, contained 13 fours. His eighth century against Pakistan tied the record for most hundreds against them with Aravinda de Silva.
Pakistan opted for the second new ball in the 85th over in a bid to get the breakthrough, but the Sri Lanka batsmen survived the five-over spell to stumps.
Jayawadene, who elected to bat first after winning the toss, was unbeaten on 55 having hit eight fours.
Sri Lanka were forced to leave out seamer Chanaka Welegedara, who had a sore shoulder. Nuwan Pradeep Fernando, who made his debut last year against Pakistan in the UAE, returned to the side in Welegedara’s place.
Pakistan were without captain Misbah-ul-Haq, who was suspended after his team maintained a slow over rate in the two-wicket loss to the hosts in the fifth one-dayer in Colombo. Mohammad Hafeez led the side while Mohammad Ayub, a 32-year-old middle-order batsman, made his debut.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA