Doherty admits failure to come up to Test standard

Last Updated: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 13:00

Sydney: Australian spinner Xavier Doherty has admitted that he had not been up to Test standard during his few attempts at the format, although he is hoping that he will be given another chance to prove that he could make the grade.

The left-armer, who was left out of the Ashes squad series after being largely ineffectual against India in March as he took just four wickets in two Tests, has taken seven Test wickets at an average of 78.28, although he has been named in the one-day squad for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy.

Stating that the Champions Trophy is going to be a big tournament for him, Doherty said that his Test aspirations have probably been put on hold in view of his poor performance in the India Tests, adding that it is necessary for him learn more about performing well in Test cricket.

However, Doherty said he had the ability to be a Test player and took heart from the recall of the likes of veteran Chris Rogers, adding that his performances in the domestic Sheffield Shield games and the fact that he had been selected twice for Test cricket shows that he can still play in the format if he improves himself.

But, Doherty also said that if he does not get another chance he will have only himself to blame.

Meanwhile, the spinner expressed his confidence over his selection in one-day games for the Champions Trophy, saying that the aim for him now is to get back to Shield cricket and added that he is hoping for another Test opportunity as he is only 30 years old.

An established performer in international one-day cricket, where he has taken 46 wickets in 43 matches at a run-rate of 4.69, Doherty has a modest record in first-class cricket, where he has 126 wickets at 45 from 54 matches.

ANI



First Published: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 13:00

comments powered by Disqus