Doherty replaces injured Hauritz for next two ODIs

Sydney: Australian left-arm spinner Xavier Doherty will replace the injured Nathan Hauritz in the squad for the next two one-day internationals against England, Cricket Australia said on Saturday.

Dumped from the Ashes squad, Hauritz capped his nightmarish summer by hurting his shoulder fielding in the second one-day international on Friday, prompting selectors to draft in 22-year-old Tasmanian Doherty.

"Xavier has an excellent domestic one-day record and we are sure he will seize this opportunity to again play for Australia," National Selection Panel chief Andrew Hilditch said in a statement.

Pacer Shaun Tait also picked up a groin injury in the Hobart match.

"The squad will be reviewed at the conclusion of the fourth game when the NSP has further information regarding the injury status of various players," Hilditch said.

Beaten comprehensibly in the Ashes, Australia have fared better in the seven-match ODI series having won the first two matches so far. Sydney hosts the third match on Sunday.

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close