Amarnath family`s third generation makes first-class debut
New Delhi: Following in the footsteps of his legendary grandfather Lala Amarnath, Digvijay Amarnath has made his foray into cricket with a first-class debut in Sri Lanka.
Lala, who scored India`s first ever Test Century and later on went on to lead India, was a father figure in Indian Cricket.
Then came his eldest son Surinder, who captained the Indian Schoolboys Test Team and later went on to score a century on Test debut like his father.
The duo gave India the unique record of the only father and son to Score a 100 on debut in Test Cricket.
They were followed by Mohinder, who played a leading role in India`s first ever World Cup win in 1983.
Now the third generation of the Amarnath family has stepped on to the cricket field with the 22-year-old son of Surinder, Digvijay, making his first class debut.
Before that, Digvijay was selected to train at the MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai as a batsman last year.
Digvijay, a left-hander like his father, was called for a Ranji trial by Goa Cricket Association after which he was inducted in the probables camp.
Post this stint, Digvijay went back to MRF and started his training where a coach from Sri Lanka spotted him batting in the nets and was quick to invite Digvijay to play first-class cricket.
Digvijay was signed up by Baduraliya Cricket Club to play in the three-day Premier League tournament. He displayed promise by scoring a patient 62 right in just his second first-class game.
He is now back from Sri Lanka and is hopeful of getting a break in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list