Amarnath family`s third generation makes first-class debut
New Delhi: Following in the footsteps of his legendary grandfather Lala Amarnath, Digvijay Amarnath has made his foray into cricket with a first-class debut in Sri Lanka.
Lala, who scored India`s first ever Test Century and later on went on to lead India, was a father figure in Indian Cricket.
Then came his eldest son Surinder, who captained the Indian Schoolboys Test Team and later went on to score a century on Test debut like his father.
The duo gave India the unique record of the only father and son to Score a 100 on debut in Test Cricket.
They were followed by Mohinder, who played a leading role in India`s first ever World Cup win in 1983.
Now the third generation of the Amarnath family has stepped on to the cricket field with the 22-year-old son of Surinder, Digvijay, making his first class debut.
Before that, Digvijay was selected to train at the MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai as a batsman last year.
Digvijay, a left-hander like his father, was called for a Ranji trial by Goa Cricket Association after which he was inducted in the probables camp.
Post this stint, Digvijay went back to MRF and started his training where a coach from Sri Lanka spotted him batting in the nets and was quick to invite Digvijay to play first-class cricket.
Digvijay was signed up by Baduraliya Cricket Club to play in the three-day Premier League tournament. He displayed promise by scoring a patient 62 right in just his second first-class game.
He is now back from Sri Lanka and is hopeful of getting a break in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal