Amarnath family`s third generation makes first-class debut
New Delhi: Following in the footsteps of his legendary grandfather Lala Amarnath, Digvijay Amarnath has made his foray into cricket with a first-class debut in Sri Lanka.
Lala, who scored India`s first ever Test Century and later on went on to lead India, was a father figure in Indian Cricket.
Then came his eldest son Surinder, who captained the Indian Schoolboys Test Team and later went on to score a century on Test debut like his father.
The duo gave India the unique record of the only father and son to Score a 100 on debut in Test Cricket.
They were followed by Mohinder, who played a leading role in India`s first ever World Cup win in 1983.
Now the third generation of the Amarnath family has stepped on to the cricket field with the 22-year-old son of Surinder, Digvijay, making his first class debut.
Before that, Digvijay was selected to train at the MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai as a batsman last year.
Digvijay, a left-hander like his father, was called for a Ranji trial by Goa Cricket Association after which he was inducted in the probables camp.
Post this stint, Digvijay went back to MRF and started his training where a coach from Sri Lanka spotted him batting in the nets and was quick to invite Digvijay to play first-class cricket.
Digvijay was signed up by Baduraliya Cricket Club to play in the three-day Premier League tournament. He displayed promise by scoring a patient 62 right in just his second first-class game.
He is now back from Sri Lanka and is hopeful of getting a break in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September