BCCI technical panel to meet on March 22
Mumbai: The Cricket Board`s technical committee will meet here on Friday to discuss the proposal of playing the Vijay Hazare Trophy One-day matches in divisions -- on the lines of the Ranji Trophy.
The proposal was received at the recently held Ranji captains and coaches conclave.
Among the suggestions that would be taken up at the technical panel meeting before drawing up the domestic schedule for the next season is the demand from captains and coaches for an additional day`s gap between two matches.
BCCI`s technical committee chairman Anil Kumble, who was present during the conclave, would put forth the views raised during the conclave before the panel, according to BCCI sources.
Kumble had said that the general consensus at the conclave was that the newly introduced format for Ranji Trophy is good, but most of the teams wanted a longer gap in between the matches.
"They want a longer break in between two games, which will extend the season. They want a four-day gap (instead of the three-day one at present). It is the preferred option. But then we will have to look at a combination where some matches have three-day gaps and some have four days," said Kumble.
Another suggestion from captains and coaches was to play the Vijay Hazare one-day tournament on the same format as the newly revamped Ranji Trophy with all teams pooled in three groups leading to quarterfinal stages.
"They (Ranji captains and coaches) were keen for the one day matches to be played in the Ranji Trophy format. But it’s tough. Right now it is zonal and they want how the Ranji Trophy is played...Like crisscrossing (the country). It`s tough logistically," Kumble had said after the conclave.
Some teams also requested for a neutral venue during the knockout stages of Ranji Trophy.
Chief selector Sandeep Patil is among the members of the technical panel whose convener is BCCI secretary Sanjay Jagdale.
Former cricketers Vinay Lamba, Deep Dasgupta, M S K Prasad, Sashikant Khandkar, Mahendra Rajdev and Debasish Mohanty, besides ex-umpire V K Ramaswamy, are the other members of the panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal