Buchi Babu Trophy to start from August 15
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) has invited 11 state teams from different parts of the country to compete in the seven-decade old Buchi Babu Memorial cricket tournament starting here on August 15.
There will be three local teams in TNCA President`s XI, TNCA City XI and TNCA Districts XI.
The Cricket Association of Bengal is sending their all the leading batsmen including skipper Laxmi Ratan Shukla and Manoj Tiwary for the tournament as newly appointed CAB joint secretary Sourav Ganguly wants all top players to quickly get into the groove.
According to a release sent by TNCA secretary Kasi Viswanathan, 14 teams are divided into 4 zones with three teams each in zones A & C and four teams in zone B & D. The top two teams from each zone will qualify for the knock-out phase.
The response to our invitation to participate in this Tournament has been overwhelming. Due to time constraint all the matches will be of two days duration restricted to 100 overs per innings.
The matches will be played on turf wickets in nine grounds situated in and around the City of Chennai.
The prize money for the winners and runners will be Rs 1 lakh and Rs 50,000 respectively and Rs 25,000 each to the losing semi-finalists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...