South Zone takes on Central Zone in Duleep Trophy
Chennai: After notching up a massive win over West Zone last week, South Zone will look for an encore when they clash with last year`s finalists, Central Zone in the second semifinal of the Duleep Trophy here on Thursday.
The four-day tie promises to be an intriguing contest involving two skippers -- Abhinav Mukund and Piyush Chawla -- who make a terrific study in contrast.
For Abhinav Mukund, captain of South, it is a familiar territory and his team will look to progress to the final by writing a familiar script tomorrow as they did against West Zone at the M A Chidambaram Stadium.
Central team has decided to go in with three seamers and specialist spinner, Piyush Chawla. They will also have the additional strength of experienced Mohammed Kaif.
After their strenuous practice session, team coach Trevor Gonsalves said: "We have not decided the playing eleven but we will go in to the match with three medium pacers and Kaif joining the team, which was confirmed to me this morning, adds to the strength of our squad."
Piyush said his team is primed to do well irrespective of whether they bat or bowl first on this wicket.
"It looks like, wicket will turn on the second day evening and we hope to get a good total on board if we bat first as we have really a good bowling attack.
"Besides me, Jalaj Saxena has also been in good nick besides Umesh Yadav. Ankit Rajpoot is playing in his second season now and he is primed up to do well in this match.
"If we bowl first in this wicket, then also it is not going to be any worry for us, going by the wicket and the weather.
"I am keen on doing well in this match in my hopes to get back to national test side. I have been doing well since having played for Somerset in the County," Piyush said.
In contrast, Abhinav Mukund was categoric in saying that there is no need for three spinners and they will have a specialist spinner and a part timer.
"Malolan Rangarajan (who claimed five west zone wickets in the last match) is bowling very well," he said.
Mukund said he was working on his techniques and approach and that he hoped to come up with a big knock.
On the team balance, he said: "Wicket has some grass and Pragyan Ojha joining us has strengthened our side."
As in the past, the teams vary in their strengths and most of the players of the Central Zone had represented Uttar Pradesh and have faired well in the Buchi Babu tournament held here last month. They have a bundle of youthful talents including Ankit Rajpoot and Robin Bist.
South would be depending on Baba Aprajith and Manish Pandey, who excelled in the last match with double hundreds and captain Abhinav and Rahul to post a solid total.
However, on paper, Central looks a more balanced side but the South could enjoy the home advantage too.
South Zone: Abhinav Mukiund (C), C M Gautham (Wk), B Sumanth, K L Rahul, P Akshath Reddy, B Aprajith, Rohan Prem, Manish Pandey, Abhimanyu Mithin, Sandeep warrier, H S Sharath, C P Shahid, Malolan Rangarajan and R Aushik Srinivas, Pragyan Ojha and Saurabh Bendekar.
Central: Piyush Chawla (C), Mukul Dagar, Tanmay Srivatsava, Imtiaz Ahmed, Ankit Rajpoot, Vinit Saxena, Robin Bist, Amit Paunikar, Karan Sharma, Jalaj Saxena, Naman Ojha (WK), Shalabh Srivatstava, Umesh Yadav, Shrikant Wagh, Udit Brila and Mohammed kaif.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams