Superb show by Bhuvaneshwar as Central require 10 more runs
Hyderabad: Uttar Pradesh all-rounder Bhuvaneshwar Kumar`s gutsy century helped him script an unbelievable comeback for his side Central Zone as they are 10 runs shy of taking an all-important lead against North Zone in the Duleep Trophy semi-final here today.
After North scored a commendable 451, the Central Zone riding on Bhuvenshwar`s unbeaten 120 (12x4, 3x6) are tantalisingly close at 442 for nine. In fact, the 10th wicket partnership between Bhuvenhwar and Rituraj Singh who is batting on 21 yielded an astonioshing 100 runs.
The fact that these runs came in less than 22 overs is also laudable.
While this match will always be remembered for Yuvraj Singh`s double hundred, Bhuveneshwar`s innings is no mean achievement considering he batted with the tail for the better part of his innings. A win will certainly make his maiden first class ton even more memorable.
Starting the day at 146/5, skipper Mohammed Kaif who contributed 64 and glovesman Mahesh Rawat (71, 131 balls, 9x4) took the score to 219 before former India player was dismissed. Rawat was dismissed at the score of 251 while Praveen Kumar hit three sixes in his quickfire 27 before Amit Mishra dismissed him.
At 293 for eight, Murali Kartik (22) joined Bhuvneshwar as the pair added 49 runs for the ninth wicket to take the score to 342 before the former gave a catch to Yuvraj Singh at first slip to become Mishra`s fourth victim.
With 110 runs still to get and a wicket in hand, it looked like a mere formality for North Zone to get a sizeable first innings lead but Bhuvneshwar and Rituraj defied all odds as they negotiated both pace and spin with aplomb.
While Mishra bowled 39 overs for his four wickets, the fact that he had given away 151 runs will certainly pinch him. Another leggie Rahul Sharma was also rendered ineffective as he gave away 75 runs in his 26 wicketless over.
Brief Scores: North Zone 1st Innings: 451
Central Zone: 442/9 (Bhuvneshwar Kumar 120 batting, Mahesh Rawat 71, Mohammed Kaif 64, Amit Mishra 4/151).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation