Essex sacks Tsotsobe after Twitter outburst

Last Updated: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 18:02

London: South African speedster Lonwabo Tsotsobe was sacked by the Essex county team after the bowler described his stint at the club as "the worst two months" of his life on social networking site Twitter.

The 27-year-old tweeted, "I`ve never felt like this ever. This is the worst two months of my life. And you know when you start regretting yourself it ain`t good. It`s just impossible to work in this environment."

The left-hander, who joined Essex last month, had a poor run of form bagging just five wickets at an average of 77.60 in three four-day County Championship matches.

He, however, fared little better in the limited-overs competition, taking eight wickets in five appearances but that did not suffice the demands of his team which claimed that bowler`s post was "downright rude".

Essex coach Paul Grayson expressed disappointment at Tsotsobe`s remarks saying that his "attitude and work-rate are not to the standard of an international cricketer".

"I`ve read a few of his comments and I am very surprised. We`ve given him a great opportunity to come and play county cricket and what he has said about us is downright rude," he was quoted as saying.

Meanwhile, a senior South African figure who does not wish to be named, said because Tsotsobe was perceived to be the successor to Makhaya Ntini, he was beginning to consider himself "untouchable".

"There`s no doubt that he has all the skills to succeed, but I believe he has an attitude problem," he told `The Star`.

PTI



First Published: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 00:00

comments powered by Disqus