I want to do something special, says Harbhajan
Mumbai: Harbhajan Singh termed the Irani Cup match as the "biggest" he could have got in recent times as the off-spinner intends to stage a comeback to the Indian cricket team for the upcoming four-match Test series against Australia.
The 32-year-old is part of the Rest of India team which will take on Ranji Trophy champions Mumbai tomorrow and Harbhajan said he wants to do something special to get picked for the Australian series, starting later this month.
"If I do well, I have a great chance to come back into the Indian side and Australia is coming over, so before the series starts, this was the biggest game I could have got," he told reporters here.
"I want to do something special and be relaxed and look to bowl well rather than running after the wickets. Wickets will come, if not today, tomorrow it will come. My aim is to bowl well, if I do that, I will get the rewards," he added.
The off spinner, who has 408 wickets in his kitty so far in 99 Tests, would join the select 100-Test club of Indian players, containing nine names, if he gets picked for the upcoming home series.
"I am not thinking about the 100th test and so on. I am looking forward for this game and hopefully I have a good game and we do well as a team and go forward from there. I don`t want to think too much ahead, playing 100th test. It will be great if I get picked and it will be a great opportunity to do something special for team India," he said.
The nine Indian cricketers to have played 100 Tests: Sachin Tendulkar (194), Rahul Dravid (163), VVS Laxman (134), Anil Kumble (132), Kapil Dev (131), Sunil Gavaskar (125), Dilip Vengsarkar (116), Sourav Ganguly (113) and Virender Sehwag (102).
Harbhajan further said that sometimes personal milestones put pressure on a player.
"Somewhere it gets to your head, when you are close to 100 Test matches, even when you are batting from 90 to 100, when you have taken four wickets you are looking at taking another to get a five-wicket haul. It does get to your mind. Somewhere as a player you need to stay with the game rather than thinking too much ahead," he said.
"Last year onwards, I have been trying too many things to do, to play my 100th game but when I started playing, I never thought I will come this far.
"I have come this far because I was looking to enjoy the game and am just looking to get back in the whole system of enjoying the game and playing it with lot of passion, and things will start happening for me hopefully again," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India