Irani Trophy: Parthiv Patel hits ton to pile up huge total for Rest of India
Jaipur: A fine century by wicketkeeper-batsman Parthiv Patel helped Rest of India pile up a mammoth total of 668 against Ranji champions Mumbai at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium, here on Saturday.
At the end of the second day’s play, Mumbai were at 2 for no loss in 10 overs with Wasim Jaffer batting on 18 and S Marasthe on seven.
They had to face some anxious moments as Jaffer was dropped off Mithun at square leg.
Earlier, an excellent five-wicket haul by medium pacer Dhawal Kulkarni, who removed the likes of Abhinav Mukund (161), Yuvraj Singh (4) and S Badrinath (94) in the first session raised Mumbai’s hopes.
But Virat Kohli (90) and Parthiv Patel dispelled all fears of a Mumbai comeback as the duo batted freely. While Badrinath (94) and Kohli missed out on hundreds, Parthiv plundered Mumbai attack sans veteran Ajit Agarkar, who did not the field today due to fever.
The biggest disappointment of the day was Yuvraj Singh, who fell cheaply.
Meanwhile, the lanky Mumbai lad Kurkarni finished with figures of five for 148 from 35.5 overs, while Rohit Sharma took three for 23 and Ramesh Powar chipped in with two for 160.
Rest of India 1st innings: 668 all out in 165.5 overs
(A Mukund 161, Parthiv Patel 125, S Badrinath 94, Virat Kohli 90; D Kulkarni 5/148, Rohit Sharma 3/23).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind