MP likely to provide stiff challenge for Karnataka
Indore: It took Madhya Pradesh nearly five years to get back their Elite Status after being relegated during the 2004-05 season and they would like to make it count when they meet Karnataka in a Ranji Trophy quarterfinal which starts here tomorrow at the Holkar Stadium.
MP who have over the years been dubbed as chokers having lost quite a number of times at the Plate semi-final stage will be eager to prove that they can prove to be a handful opposition even though they haven’t played at the Elie level.
Karnataka have some match-winners in Manish Pandey, Robin Uthappa who have the ability to turn a game on its head with
their willow. Also in good form are wicketkeeper CM Gautham, middle-order batsman Amit Verma and all-rounder Stuart Binny.
Even in the bowling department they have skipper R Vinay Kumar who has been the spearhead of their pace attack for a number of years.
With talented Abhimanyu Mithun and dependable Sreenath Aravind for company, the trio have the ability to run through a batting side if the conditions are slightly favourable for them.
The hosts though don’t have a big name save hard-hitting wicketkeeper-batsman Naman Ojha. Ojha, who till recently was in national selectors’ radar has fallen out of favour and would be rather keen to prove a point. Ojha is one player who can destroy any domestic opposition on a given day. However it is his inconsistency which has proved to be his undoing.
But MP still have a decent batting line-up with the likes of skipper Devendra Bundela, Deccan Chargers player Mohnish Mishra --- both of whom have scored more 500 plus runs this season.
The bowling depends largely on seamers TP Sudheendra, Anand Rajan who have had a good run in the Plate division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional