Mumbai Club gets new pavilion
Mumbai: Dadar Union Sports Club, which has produced legendary cricketers like Sunil Gavaskar, Dilip Vengsarkar, got a new pavilion, something that was long overdue.
"I remember Ian Chappell had come to our club to see where Sunil Gavaskar used to play and he was shocked to see the shed and said it would collapse. I told him it has been the same way for years and it hasn`t collapsed so don`t worry," former Mumbai coach Vasu Paranjpe said at a club event on Monday night.
The club remained in a sorry state for many years and was refurbished largely by the efforts of Dilip Vengsarkar, who wanted to restore the glory of the club.
"We all talked about doing something for the club. But that is all we did. Talk. But Dilip did what none of us could," former cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar said.
Vengsarkar said that the club with its new look will motivate the players and help the club rule the Kanga League division in the near future, like it did in the 70s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today